Tuesday, March 1, 2011

If You Blog It [They] Will Come

Welcome!  I am so glad that you have found my first attempt at blogging.  It is my hope to be able to utilize this format to share my thoughts, ideas, ramblings, happy and frustrated moments with my beloved Minnesota Twins.

First, I apologize to the armchair umpires amongst readers of this blog may be critiquing ("you didn't capitalize your blog title correctly) the writing style of this Class A blogger.  It is my hope to make it to Tripe A and possibly be a late September call-up blogger by seasons end.

I am going to make this a brief post, but I hope to make it at least somewhat informative or worth your time.

For starters (no pun intended), some may be wondering why I placed the [   ] around "they" in the title of this post.  It is actually one of the most misheard lines in the movie Field of Dreams.  The actual quote is, "If you build it, he will come."  However, to be inclusive, as I hope their to be women who enjoy this blog, I chose to insert the miss understood part.  I also obviously changed "build" to "blog." :)

As it sits right now, at 12:42am on March 1, there are 31 days, 16 hours, 18 minutes, 45 seconds to Opening Night (AND) 38 days, 13 hours, 15 minutes, and 13...12....11 seconds until the Minnesota Twins open their home baseball schedule against the Oakland Athletics at 3:10pm on April 8, 2011 at Target Field.


The Minnesota Twins are off to a 1-1 start for Spring Training in the Grape Fruit League and are going to be playing their 3rd game in a row this afternoon against the Boston Red Sox to start the ST schedule.

Let me be clear, I understand that ST is not a real indicator of the season or how the team will do, but it is nice to see the Twins already able to swing the bat well.

Joe Nathan, who spent all of last season recovering from Tommy John surgery, is expected to see his first action this spring.  I know of a couple people who will be excited to see that happen.  I am sure those 2 people I have in mind will be watching the 5pm, 6pm, 10pm news and possibly SportsCenter and MLB Network to catch of him in action.

The Twins are still remaining quiet in the recovery and anticipated return of Justin Morneau.  It appears that Morneau has an appointment out East in the next day or so to hopefully gain clearance to report to full baseball activity and rejoin the club early this spring.  I still have concerns about Morneau's return and his potential to be a productive member until he is able to go through normal activities without the "minor" pains he appears to be having.  The Twins are remaining quiet on the subject which gives me greater concern about whether he will see any action this spring.  I remain optimistic, but it's been since July 6.  Hopefully we have a Pierre-Marc Bouchard type of successful turnaround.

On Monday, the Twins left Tsuyoshi Nishioka in Fort Myers, as it appears that Gardenhire only wants Nishioka to play home games at Hammond Stadium.  Nishioka is expected to be back in the lineup this afternoon.  Nishioka impressed both offensively and defensively in his first game out, going 1 for 3, with an RBI and almost beating out a routine ground ball.  I am excited to see his speed this year, both on the base paths and up the middle of the infield.


I think this is where I will leave it for now.  It is my hope to start blogging regularly and giving my thoughts regarding the Minnesota Twins.

Thanks for reading and I look forward to seeing you and others around!

1 comment:

  1. Concussions are an interesting topic right now, and not for what we are used to. In this way it should raise some big red flags to all the non-believers about Morneau's lingering problems. A lot of premier players have suffered concussions. Justin Morneau who was out half a season plus the entire off season and now part of spring training with lingering symptoms. Sydney Crosby, the Michael Jordan or LeBron James of the NHL has been out a good portion of the current NHL season with concussion symptoms. Marc Savard, Packers RB Ryan Grant and now even reports are saying that even Lou Gherig's demise was linked to concussions. It's hard to say what Morneau's symptoms are and are like but if I have anything to say based of my year and half's worth of daily migranes from my concussion (which I still battle with on occasion) its that I too think his effectiveness may be very limited if he isn't able to accurately diagnose all the triggers of the symptoms. If he does find them all and prepares himself appropriately then he will still be out every so often but should be able to play and play well the majority of the season.

    ReplyDelete